Skip to main content

Guides and Procedures


All ECE Graduate Students

Log on and check your RIS (Registration Information Sheet) each semester before you register to find a list of financial or non-financial bars that must be cleared before you can register.

New ECE Graduate Students

New ECE graduate students must submit the signed Registration Form for ECE Students in the First Semester of Graduate School to the Student Affairs Office to clear the advising bar before registering.

Continuing and Readmitted ECE Graduate Students

Continuing and readmitted ECE graduate students, except doctoral students who are officially admitted to doctoral candidacy, must submit the ECE Program of Work Planning Sheet for each semester of registration to the Student Affairs Office to clear the advising bar before registering.

Doctoral Candidates

The ECE Graduate Office staff will clear the advising bars of the ECE doctoral students who have passed the qualifying examination procedure for their Academic Track and have been admitted to doctoral candidacy officially.

Individual Instruction Courses

A graduate student who plans to take an EE individual instruction course listed on the Registration in Individual Instruction Courses Form must collect the signature of a professor for that course and submit the signed form to the Student Affairs Office. The professor who signs the form is the instructor of the course and he/she will assign the grade at the end of the semester. None of the courses listed on the Registration in Individual Instruction Courses Form can count as classroom courses in fulfillment of the master's degree or PhD degree requirements.


All forms related to the ECE graduate program can be found online here.

PhD Rules and Procedures

Overview of the requirements for academic progress, monitoring of it, and consequences of not achieving it.

Learn More

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training, or CPT is temporary employment authorization directly related to an F-1 student's academic program for which the work counts toward course credit. You must be enrolled for two long semesters before you can work as an intern. The purpose of CPT is to contribute to your education and degree plan. The priority of the ECE Department is that you complete your degree requirements and graduate in a timely manner.

Learn More

Permanent Labor Certification Letter 

Alumni pursuing a Permanent Labor Certification Letter may wish to obtain a skills verification letter as part of their alumni application materials. Permanent Labor Certification applicants may request a letter and our graduate advising team will serve as a point of contact.  

ECE has its own process, vetted by the University, for skills verification letter requests. We are not able to use a outside template letters.  

The entire process may take at least one week, and depending on the time of year, the letter may take up to one month. We understand that this can be an urgent request and will accommodate as best as we can. Your patience is very much appreciated. 

Permanent Labor Certification Letters can be requested HERE.  


MS Students

Master's students must submit the appropriate Master's Program of Work Form to the Student Affairs Office by the 12th class day of the Fall or Spring semester during which they plan to earn the master's degree, or by the second class day for the Summer semester if they plan to earn the master's degree in Summer. Upon receiving an email with instructions from the ECE Graduate Office, students then apply online through the Graduate School to earn the MSE. The deadline to submit the Report or Thesis is the last class day of the semester listed on The University's Academic Calendar.  When the form is completed, please upload the form to this Box link.

PhD Students

PhD students must complete the University's Graduate School procedures in order to graduate. The first step is to submit an online form to apply for graduation at the beginning of the graduating semester. The procedures that must be completed to earn the PhD degree can be found on the Graduate School's Deadlines and Forms.

In addition to other requirements, graduating doctoral candidates must plan ahead to complete the following:

  1. Give a copy of the written dissertation to each committee member one month in advance of the final oral defense date.
  2. Schedule a final defense by submitting the required paper form (on pink paper), signed by each committee member and the Graduate Advisor, to the Graduate School office in Main 101 two weeks before the final oral defense date.
  3. Submit the dissertation to the Graduate School in Main 101 and complete all the required procedures by the last class day of the semester listed on The University's Academic Calendar