The University of Texas at Austin's Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering offers three undergraduate programs, of which Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org. The Electrical and Computer Engineering program newly offered in Fall 2022 is pending ABET accreditation and if approved, will replace both programs in Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering.
- Electrical and computer engineering graduates should demonstrate:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Program Educational Objectives
Electrical and Computer Engineering graduates should:
- Be highly skilled, trained, and educated for the ethical practice of electrical and computer engineering in industry and public service.
- Exhibit leadership in technical or business activity through engineering ability, communication skills, and knowledge of contemporary and global issues.
- Continuously educate themselves through professional study and personal research to expand and apply knowledge within and outside the discipline.
- Use their engineering ability and creative potential to create technology solutions that consider environmental and social impacts to improve the quality of life in society.
- Be able to develop and design systems, artifacts, and methods either individually or in teams.
- Be prepared for admission to, and to excel in, the best graduate programs in the world.